Friday, September 7, 2012

Netflix : super 8

This movie got so much hype, and was blown all out of proportion due to it's actors and behind the scenes people. I'd like to say in a world where all to often the film makers hide nothing and lose everything.
What made movies like jaws and aliens great was the absence of the creature, yet this just went to far, all to much like a puzzle where they forgot to put in the edge pieces. The decision to make it a period piece made no sense. It not only failed to add anything of substance but detracted massively.
I'm guessing part of that was a bit of self indulgent nostalgia for the director making movies as a youth, when this could have been placed today when digital cameras are pervasive and more kids make zombie movies today than ever they did then. I guess this movie was in a sense aimed at my generation with HAM radios and super 8 cameras and walkie talkies.
Talking about the HAM the military wouldn't be broadcasting on a public band but frequency resonance mirroring or power bleed through from being close to the source broadcasting at such a high power the signal bleeds through. Yes this was another hobby at one time, I still have very powerful radios, scanners, shortwaves, frequency detectors, hell, there may even be a few C. B. 's laying about, not that it has anything to do with the movie.
Sadly they even try for the idiotic Romeo and Juliette story, and having the African-American soldier kill the other black individual was clearly making a statement, is the director trying to say the military started black on black violence in the 70's. For such a visceral point it's import or lack of made it powerless. The whole star crossed first time lovers just seemed tacked on. Though Juliet's, not her characters real name, dad was really pretty good considering. But weird stuff going on in town and the stupid kids are fighting over the girl, and don't even get curious about the military or the train until half way through the movie, when it takes an hour to even get into the movie, UGH!

I'm not one of those people that needs explosive action before the credits roll, but really half way through the movie before you start setting up your chess pieces? Nuts.
The power outages and moving objects seemed to badly written for aliens and ultimately was just badly done. I expect more if that's supposed to be foreshadowing of aliens, the bizarre attempt at humanizing the creature was done in the most inane fashion. I guess to be brief after all the hype and teasers, with the first hour and a half of a two hour movie more teaser I was left wanting more of everything, worst they made the worst, biggest mistake a movie maker can make in my book, they filmed it all to dark, again it was a useful the more frustrating than successful technique in it's day, it is useless now. I find at 1.27 in a 1.51 length movie I really am invested more in this blogs notes than I am the movie. Not a sign of a four star movie. I base my movie rating on two things how will I see a movie, this I saw on Netflix, I didn't wait for cable, but I didn't buy it, or see it in theaters, this is not a movie I want in my collection. Seeing as I have over a thousand movies in my collection, not counting laser disks, see I really am that old, not wanting this movie is saying something so on the fang system, 5 fangs being impossibly good nothing has 5 fangs, and 0 fangs being bleh normal id give this movie 1 fang, it's a broken vampire!

No comments:

Post a Comment