Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Guest Post Dr. Susskind letter 1

Here's a letter from a great friend, a letter he wrote to the incredible physicist Leonard Sussknd, I will be following this with a second letter, and proffesor Sussknd's respons!

(LETTER 1)

http://www.ringdragonz.com/2012/08/a-letter-to-leonard-susskind/

Here’s a letter I wrote to Dr. Susskind regarding a conversation my father
and I have been having throughout the course of this summer 2012, where
we’ve been discussing the topic of the original eukaryotic cell, and its
origin on our world so long ago. I will post any replies, should I receive
any :)

Hi Professor Susskind,

I know you’re a busy man, and as a teacher, too, I’m very aware that the
start of any term is a hectic time for chit-chat. But I’d like to write
you this quick note on an exciting thought my father and I shared on the
origin of the original, eukaryotic cell this summer.

We were both marveling how the evolution of the complex eukaryotic cell
from simple bacterial cells was an event that has only occurred once in
the entire history of our planet — an event, without which, our species
wouldn’t exist, nor any complex life. This naturally begged the question:
“what was the catalyst for this crucial event to occur?”

Could it be that cell-altering radiation from an ancient solar flare gave
occasion for just such a mutation?

Perhaps such an intense solar flare would have left behind geologic
evidence in the fossil record, as this proposed flare moved through the
earth’s electromagnetic fields like seismic waves from an earthquake
(marked by an initial blast, or onset tremor, then followed by subsequent,
rippling aftershocks like tails). All of this activity would have resulted
in the ocean-dwelling, simple-celled bacteria being cooked by the flare’s
intense radiation.

Thank you for your time, Professor Susskind,

I've removed his name for privacy sake, enjoy.

PS, this summer has been a time of real reconnecting for my father and I
following his stroke at 58 years old. Circumstances that originally looked
so tragic (losing his music and career) offered us time to watch your
television programs, discuss all the ramifications and implications of a
hologram universe, and really just enjoy each other’s company — something
that never would have taken place had the stroke never taken place. Funny
how such things work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment