Wednesday, June 13, 2012

National anthems hmmm?

I was just watching an episode of the Simpsons called "the Bart of War" where after a prank goes wrong the boys, ie Bart and milhouse are forced to join conflicting youth groups, watching the social dynamism between youth organizations, I found much of it interesting having been in boy scouts, 4H, and martial arts, as well as junior dog handling. The episode ends in all out war of course and marge crying as she just wanted, "to sew feathers onto felt", the city follows homers example and begins singing the Canadian national anthem, a non-war ballad about filial brotherhood and patriotism, and I had to wonder how many national anthems are not based on war like themes, but things like humanism, and universal love? From the few people I've spoken to on the subject it sounds like most seem to be about war in one form or another, I can't help wondering what that says about us as a species. If you have any thoughts on this or your national anthem is interesting in this please comment or MSG me on Facebook please, facebook.com/avalontcr thanks for your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment