Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Knight out on the town

You've been waiting for this moment for a long time, you load the kids into the car, you drive to the movie theater, you get your tickets find your seat, sitdown watch previews and you're preparing to enjoy the final installment of a trilogy, when suddenly teargas and bullet fire starts to ring through the theater? This is just sick to me, such a tragedy. I think of the soldier who chooses to serve his country and ends up being gunned down in a movie theater. Or a family going to watch a movie and nearly everyone ends up being killed including their young daughter. How can this be the world we live in? I really don't know what to say about this. I don't understand it. I keep waiting, asking myself when are they going to tell us why this man did this? Why did somebody let him in through the emergency exit? Then I realized they might not. There might not be an answer to this question. We just live in that kind of world where people are stabbed when they go to a horror movie because somebody wants to become famous. I'm sure part of the problem here is sickness, but I can't help wondering how much of the problem here is that desire for fame or at least notoriety?

To think that if this guy doesn't get the death penalty he's going to get free medical care, three meals a day, a roof over his head for the rest of his life. Things I have no guarantee of ever having. What does that tell people? I think I'm going to stop and leave it there because I'm just truly uncomfortable even discussing this. The death of so many over so little on such a narcissistic media bothers me deeply and as much as it bothers me to hear these television talking heads debate over these tragic events I just don't want to find myself becoming one of them so I'm going to leave you on that note and hopefully in the days ahead will be able to find some answer that will never make up for what happened but at least explain what was going on in this man's head when he set about on the events of that night.

My prayers go out to their families, I can only hope that they can ever get over this and someday see some form of justice come out of thier loss. With this last note love the people around you, tell them, and show them, don't assume they know already, they don't. Most likely your son or daughter, grandchildren, are wondering if they've made you proud, if they're good enough, done enough. When the end can come so quickly don't live in the past or a world of assumptions, let something good come out of this horror, pull your friends and family close, and never let go, then when the names have changed and the story becomes your own you can know they knew, and hopefully find some consolation in that knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. if you ask the religous right they say President Obama did it so he can take away the guns...like any one needs that kind of gun. Try shooting a deer with it and you would be spitting out bullets forever.

    ReplyDelete