Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bad pet owners : Breed biases and banns

To quote a favorite TV show hears something that really grinds my gears, really gets me in a personal place. I am a dog person deeply, deeply, deeply a dog person. I know there are cat lovers out there and if you're a cat lover you may want to move on. But I'm a dog person and I love my dogs. I don't have one now because I can't afford to take care of one in the manner they need to be taken care of. The dog is like a child they need to be taken care of and a proper way they need the right training, the right food, the right everything. If you get certain breeds they require certain special needs. I'm a firm believer that outside of the anomaly there is no such thing as a bad dog there are only bad owners. When people single out breeds like Rottweilers, pit bulls, Dalmatians, Dobermans, even German shepherds, and Akitas. All have been red tagged at some point or continue to be red tagged as being dangerous breeds. it's gotten to the point where you can't fly with some of these breeds with certain companies, in fact they don't even have to be purebred they just have to look like they may have some percentage of a breed banned dog in them to be banned themselves. Our federal government which relies on our tax monies has decided that our own serviceman and woman are not allowed to own banned breeds, the men and women who are going out and fighting and bleeding and dying for our rights to choose are not being allowed to choose to own the dog they want to own. Does that make any sense in any way? San Francisco California one of the most open-minded cities in the world if you listen to them is basically a pit bull unfriendly city. No they'll pretty much let you use drugs right in front of the capital but don't you dare walk down the street with a pitbull because then you're violating the law. If we took a similar stance with anything else it would be completely illegal and yet when it comes to dogs it's excepted. let's switch this around and take it from a cat viewpoint if the government said you're not allowed to own signees cats anymore or you're not allowed to own Persian cats anymore their hair is too long and to keep them comfortable it's too difficult, it cost too much and people just don't take care of their pets properly so Persians are now illegal to own. Nobody would except that. And if you look at it from perspective of race we really have a huge problem. An apartment complex can pass a law saying you cannot own a Rottweiler, but if they said an African American was not allowed to live there we would have a huge lawsuit situation, now I'm not trying to equate the two I'm just saying that if you pick one group out of all of them and play certain rules on them that's illegal and goes against the very constitution our country was founded on. Again I'm not saying certain breeds weren't bred to be a certain way, but we the people, bred them to be that way. We can breed them or train them to be otherwise. I owned a Rottweiler for many years, he was trained from the very beginning until the day I had to give him up because I just became too sick at that point to handle a dog that large. That dog was trained from the point that he was a puppy to understand that he was big and powerful, he was taught like a martial artist to know how to use and when to use the power he could control. He was taught to control the power. Yes it can be done. Yet he wasn't just taught how and when to use the power he was born with, he was also taught to be a service dog, how to use that power in service of me, he was also taught to be a search and rescue dog as well as a drug enforcement dog. Why did they teach him those things. I don't know because I could. Because he was able to learn them. so I guess for now I'm going to leave you with these thoughts, breed banns in no way make the world a safer place they just stigmatize certain breeds and give people the impression that they're dangerous when that is not always true some of the most dangerous dogs are the little ones. I've been around dogs all my life big and little, and the worst scar I have came from an animal bite by a shiz tzu. Whereas none of the large dogs in my life had ever hurt anybody. When the government chooses to weigh in on a subject like this passing laws for its own servicemen and women, laws based on singling out certain types of animals while allowing others is wrong. At some point we the people need to understand it's all or none, either same-sex couples should be able to marry or nobody should be able to, all dogs should be able to be owned or no dogs should be able to be owned, all guns, or none, all drugs should be able to be used or no drug should be able to be used. At least that's the way I think and if you're curious about my beliefs on that please post away I would love to share more on this, the cost of a pet shouldn't be their suffering, until the next post be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment