Friday, July 27, 2012

Polyamoury vs Poligamy

In this world of polarization I find myself asking if same-sex marriage is ok, what's the problem with Polygamy? It seems that if two or more adults can choose to live and love together, commonly referred to as polyamory. If cheating on your spouse is legal and open relationships are ok, in fact I recently read about objectemphilia or something with people who are in love with cars, buildings, even the Berlin wall.

How can we the people allow something to be legalized and validated while others remain stigmatized. If your dealing with adults who are making informed decisions which don't harm anyone else why do we get a say what they do in thier own homes? I wouldn't want to be judged on what I think, say, and do in my own home, I'm sorta human. Should I be judged on what books I read, movies I watch, or music I listen to? I hope not, those are choices.

I've said before if your familiar with that show sister wives where a member of the FDLS church took his family of four wives and nearly twenty children on TLC. They wanted to show polygamy in it's truth not that image many of us have of forced marriages to twelve year old girls.

Towards the end of season one they flee Utah because of their fear of prosecution. Instead of taking it to court and fighting for what is their religious belief and practice they fled to Los Vegas instead of standing up for thier beliefs.

Granted I don't have kids to worry about being taken away yet. (though I do live in a world where I'm afraid to change my kids because I believe my in-laws would use anything to get me put in prison, right or wrong), maybe I'd run to if I had to risk loosing my children, in which case I wouldn't have done the show in the first place.

Even if that show is based on the narcissism, ego, vanity and out of control arrogance, where in any person
with the smallest psych training can see he controls every aspect of that family, regardless if the impression they are seeking to portray. It doesn't change the fact that if multiple adults, same sex couples deserve to get married. Why can I get married now? What would change if she was a man? We tell our kids it's not what's on the outside until they come home with someone you don't agree with. I'm hoping I got my point across, if it's what's on the inside who cares what's hanging between the persons legs. One day each of us may be surprised when we fall in love for the first time, and shocker they have the same gear you do.

What if thier married, put thier honest and you find you love thier spouse too? Fine, just fine as long as you don't want to formalize that relationship, love is illegal.

When did anyone get to make love, or who you spend your life with legal or not? Who decided the church or the government gets to decide such a personal choice! These decisions should remain between myself, my life partners, and my god, whatever form that godhead takes.

Thanks for listening, I'm off the soapbox for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment